Legal Access and Intake Officer
- Part Time (23 hours per week)
- Generous Salary Packaging
- Be part of the oldest health-justice partnership in Australia
West Heidelberg Community Legal Service at Banyule Community Health is seeking to employ a suitably experienced front of house, access and intake officer. This part-time position is central to our client contact and engagement as well as to supporting our legal staff in the day to day operations. The position reports to the WHCLS principal lawyer. The position will work collaboratively with the principal lawyer, other WHCLS staff and Banyule Community Health Staff to provide clients with appropriate support to navigate the community legal service system. The role is also responsible for service promotion both internally and externally. The Legal Access and Intake Officer provides operational oversight of the Volunteer Law Clerk Program, monitors and supports the management of service capacity and provides administrative support to the legal service, maintaining the functions of the front office.
The key responsibilities for this position include:
- Respond to queries about WHCLS services (internal and external)
- Develop and maintain correct and up to date legal resources andreferral information for the Legal Service
- Manage all aspects of the Volunteer Law Clerk Program including recruitment, orientation, training and supervision
- Maintain client files and liaise with third parties in regard s to documents and other information required for client matters.
- Coordinate client appointments with lawyers and/or case managers
- Maintain relevant information on client database
- Coordinate Legal Service Team Meetings
The key skills required for this role include:
- Excellent customer service skills with demonstrated ability to manage competing demands in a busy office environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a culturally sensitive and empowering manner with clients from diverse backgrounds.
- Able to handle confidential and sensitive information in a professional manner.
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in the use of computers and software
- Knowledge of the legal system, legal practices and /or legal terminology an advantage
- Appropriate qualifications and demonstrated experience in a similar legaladministrative or front desk position
Banyule Community Health has two main sites, one in the heart of West Heidelberg and the other near the train station of Greensborough. The Community Programs and Improvement Team provides a range of services, including the West Heidelberg Community Legal Service, social work, Aboriginal health, prevention and health promotion projects, maternal and child health, chronic disease related programs as well as this work with local young people. The West Heidelberg Community Legal Service is one of the oldest health-justice partnerships in Australia.
Enquiries may be directed to the Principal Lawyer, Stephanie Price - on (03) 9450 2029 or Alison Elliott, General Manager Community Programs and Improvement on (03) 9450 2022 or Mobile: 0429 239 443.