AOD Counsellor - Harm Reduction Clinician
- Part-time - 22.5 hours per week (optional additional EFT - centre based AOD counselling for suitable and experienced applicants)
- Fixed term to 30/6/19
- Generous Salary packaging
- Supervision and professional development opportunities provided
This position will deliver services to clients, families and staff of local and other organisations within Banyule, Nillumbik and Whittlesea LGAs to minimise the risk of overdose for at-risk populations, within a supportive multidisciplinary team. The initiative will have a focus on AOD and other services where overdose risks are deemed to be higher. The role will provide harm reduction focused counselling and advocacy for people deemed to be high risk of drug overdose and liaise closely with a wide range of AOD treatment, harm reduction and peer based services to develop effective partnerships and innovative responses to existing and emerging overdose hotspot needs.
Banyule Community Health has two main sites, one in the heart of West Heidelberg and the other near the train station of Greensborough. The Counselling Team provides a range of recovery focused services on an individual and group basis that are intended to maximize independence and support people to reach their goals and improve their health, wellbeing and quality of life.
The key responsibilities for this position include:
- Provide harm reduction advice, undertake client assessment, provision of information and training (including for families and significant others), counselling, brief interventions and casework for those with more complex needs
- Work in a highly collaborative manner with an established team at ReGen and with all internal and external stakeholders
- Participate in collating client feedback and other evaluative activity pertaining to the initiative
The key skills required for this role include:
- Demonstrated understanding of client centered and community-based interventions for reducing AOD related harm (harm reduction strategies) and extensive AOD counselling experience
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills that build effective and collaborative internal and external working relationships which in turn affect positive health outcomes for clients
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to a culture within a team that is strengths based, productive, professional, collaborative and flexible
Enquiries regarding this role can be made to Emily Pegg (AOD Team Leader) on 0437 542 345. Interviews will be held on Wednesday the 6th of June.
Banyule Community Health is an equal opportunity employer and are committed to ensuring recruitment processes are fair to all candidates.